Anyone intimidated by the thought of making bread? I sure was and what I’ve found is that it really is very easy! Well at least the recipe I was taught I find to be easy to get wonderful tasting bread suitable for slicing for sandwiches or eating with yummy jam! This recipe has a few surprising ingredients…like potato flakes, instant nonfat dry milk, vinegar and NO EGGS!
Bread Recipe Yields 2 Loaves
Here is what you will need:
2 1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup honey or 2/3 cup brown sugar – I use brown sugar
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or whatever combination white/wheat you like..can use store bought or grind your own.
1/2 cup wheat gluten – next to yeast at most grocery stores
2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. nonfat instant dry milk
2 Tbsp. butter/margarine/oil – your choice
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 cup potato flakes (NOT potato pearls)
Here are some options for grinding your own wheat. An electric grinder or some of the fancy blenders have a grinding cup and both are pretty pricey. Remember you can use store bought flour but, the home ground wheat bread is super yummy!
Steps to making bread!
1. Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like kitchen-aid) for 12-15 minutes.
2. Let rise until double, 1- 1 1/2 hours.
3. Punch down, cut dough in half and roll and shape into 2 loaves. Roll out air bubbles and can use oil or flour to keep from sticking. Or, roll into bread rolls. Place in greased pans, cooking spray works great.
4. Let rise again until double. Can spray with cooking oil or grease top of loaf before baking to get a nice golden brown color.
5. Bake 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Baking temperature depends on type of pans used and your oven…glass pans use lower heat.
6. Pull out of oven and turn over onto cooling rack. Let cool on its side.
A tip for letting it rise…heat the oven at a low temp and turn off put dough bowl or pan in the oven with a damp cloth over it. Or what we did was heat a cup of water in the microwave and set dough bowl or pan in the microwave with hot water cup and closed the door. Helps speed up the time it takes to rise depending on how warm or cool your home is.
Super yummy easy bread! I have never had a person taste this bread and not fall in love with it! Oh and one time I didn’t have gluten so I omitted it and it came out okay. That time I also realized I had no butter and used olive oil and it worked too. This recipe is hard to screw up! You can also use this recipe for dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls! Invite some friends over make bread and enjoy lunch together while it rises! This bread also makes a perfect gift to someone you are thinking about or a special friend!
*If you are making this recipe in a bread machine, follow your bread machine’s directions for wheat or whole grain selection and add the ingredients in the order listed for their recommendations. (only one loaf will fit in a bread maker)
At the Picket Fence, Funky Junk Interiors
, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
, A Simply Klassic Home
, Not Just A Housewife
, Meet Me Mondays
, A Bowl Full of Lemons
, It’s Overflowing
, Chatty Chics
, Southern Product Queen
, Share The Wealth Wednesday
, Some What Simple
, Country Momma Cooks